At our June meeting we met Di Carrington, part of the Talisker whiskey Atlantic Rowing Challenge. After a long career in teaching outdoor pursuits and nursing, instead of retirement, Di decided to form a team of women rowers.The four-woman team hope to break the Atlantic rowing record in December, while being the oldest team to achieve this. Three ladies are in their fifties and Di herself is in her early sixties. A huge challenge of 3000 miles, continually rowing in two hour shifts, two on two off, aboard their boat ‘Poppy’ enduring all that the Atlantic throws at them for up to sixty days and all while raising money for charities. We will be following their progress and wish the team every success.
As the June meeting is our annual show our WI lunch hostesses laid on a delicious ploughmans lunch for members who also enjoyed the flower, crafts and baking competitions. The next meeting in July will be great fun with Sarah Bright dancing the Charleston and attempting to teach some of us the steps.
Pontesbury WI meet on the second Monday of the month at 2pm (no meeting in August). We have guest speakers on a range of diverse subjects. If you would like to meet our friendly group, guests are always made welcome. Please ring Sue Brookes 01743 790610
Search the site
- September 2018 Newsletter
- Tour of St. John the Baptist Church, Myndtown
- July 2018 Newsletter
- June 2018 Newsletter
- May Newsletter
- Community Library at Pontesbury Spring Plant Sale
- U3A April 2018
- Pontesbury and District Forum Programme for Summer
- Pontesbury Parish Council Report: APM March 2018
- Stiperstones & Corndon Hill Country Landscape Partnership Scheme
- Three ‘Round & About’ Walks: Saturday, 12 May
- Peace March in Shrewsbury