In January 2018, Pontesbury WI will celebrate its 100th anniversary. The first meeting of the WI in Britain was on Anglesey in 1915 to encourage rural women to become involved in food production and revitalise their communities during the dreadful war years. On 16 January 1918, Pontesbury WI, the eighth inShropshire, was formed by Mrs Jameson,a doctor’s wife and Mrs Seddon,the rector’s wife, followed by the formation of the Shropshire Federation of Womens Institutes in 1919.
Our members will start celebrations in January with an afternoon tea at Sweeney Hall, Oswestry. At a coffee morning in March, we will begin the sale of jars of homemade preserves which will continue throughout the year to achieve a target of 100 sales. In April, the walkers in our group will be invited to walk 100 miles between them finishing at the Parish Hall for coffee and cake.
Our President will host an afternoon tea for members at her home during May. Our lunch team will arrange a fantastic lunch at the June meeting, and there will be musical entertainment and an exhibition of WI memorabilia and crafts created by our talented members. Extra celebratory events will be happening throughout the year and we hope local residents will join with us on some of these occasions. Notices will be given later on these.
Although much has changed since the first WI we remain a group that is interested in the community, supportive of local charities, and above all friendship is the key to our WI to which we always warmly welcome visitors.
The next meeting will be on 12 February at 2pm in Pontesbury Public Hall. Please ring Sue Brookes on 790610 for more information.
Search the site
- June 2018 Newsletter
- May Newsletter
- Community Library at Pontesbury Spring Plant Sale
- U3A April 2018
- Pontesbury and District Forum Programme for Summer
- Pontesbury Parish Council Report: APM March 2018
- Stiperstones & Corndon Hill Country Landscape Partnership Scheme
- Three ‘Round & About’ Walks: Saturday, 12 May
- Peace March in Shrewsbury
- Volunteers needed: Hanwood day centre
- Marches Choir and Sinfonia Concert
- West Shropshire Flower Club: March 2018
- Pontesbury WI: March 2018
- Women’s World Day of Prayer
Council Minutes Archive
Planning Committee Archive